Bird Observer Volunteer Job Openings
Sightings Records Editor
Bird Observer has an opening for a Records Editor. The position requires records to be compiled in two-month batches. Contributions are submitted from a dozen sub-compilers in varying formats, which are converted to text files to be imported into an Access database. Once all records are complete, they must be pared down to eliminate irrelevant and duplicate submissions. All unusual records must be supported by details, often available on eBird, but if not, the editor must contact whoever submitted the record for details. Records are output from the database to Bird Observer records format, then edited to give a picture of the reporting period. The editor also writes an analysis of the reporting period for half the species, and edits the analysis for the other half.
- must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access, have a familiarity with transferring files between these applications, and a proficiency in creating and using macros.
- must have extensive knowledge of breeding birds and migration patterns within Massachusetts.
If you are interested or have questions, please contact Marj Rines.
Bird Observer is looking for a new staff member to on take the position of Subscription Manager. Primary job responsibilities:
- Process new subscriptions and renewals received through the mail or our website.
- Send periodical renewal notices to subscribers.
- Prepare mailing labels and USPS forms for each of our six editions per year.
- Maintain a master database containing information and subscription status for all subscribers.
- Record and pass on to our Treasurer all subscription revenue.
- Pick up mail at our Arlington USPS Box 3–4 times per month.
This is a computer intensive job that requires familiarity with Microsoft Office programs Access, Excel, Word, and Outlook or their functional equivalents.
If you are interested or have questions, please contact John Marsh.